Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Living on a farm is not for the lighthearted

I grew up on a farm until I was nine years old then I moved to an urban area. I will go to the farm regularly and the one thing you have to understand is sometimes death is inevitable. This is hard to learn and hard to face, especially for animal lovers, but that is how we get the strong versus the weak. I remember when I was little my grandpa would take me and my brother out to help birth the cows when they were having a hard time. These animals are just like us they can have problems and sometimes we come too late. In one case we lost the mother and her calf after a strenuous labor. another time a cow was having twins. This is extremely rare and usually the younger one dies. That is how life is. Now that my family has moved to goats they will have triplets and all will survive. It makes me happy to see these living creatures, but I know that the reason for the deaths is natures way of weeding out illness and allowing for growth because the genes stay pure. This is also why after a time the males in the groups change because otherwise there would be inbreeding which would ruin the new flock and create a weaker animal. It is hard to learn and understand, but it is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment