Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bad memories

Something happened tonight that brought back some memories to me. A girl I know was laughed at because of her lack of social skills. She did not even realize it, but I did and I felt for her. I felt hard. I tend to be very sensitive to others and how they are treated. That is why I am in psychology is because I want to help those who need help. I felt horrible, but I know there is nothing I can do about it. The reason this bugs me so much is because I have been there. I used to be the one being laughed at because of my deaf accent and I was kind of goofy in middle school. Granted in my case I guess some say the ugly duckling became a swan and I have good social skills, but I remembered what it was like and for a split second I felt like a part of her. Yeah granted for me middle school was eight years ago, but that is one thing I never forgot was the treatment I was given. This girl first played her violin and it was bad, then she did an encore and I felt bad I looked around us and saw people giggling and looking like "oh no! She's doing an encore!" It was horrible to watch my friend get made fun of. I am glad she did not notice. It is interesting though how we all react to different social situations. This girl needs to work on some things, but so do we all. Some people obviously need to work on not making fun of others if they do not know the situation or where they are coming from. I love the fact that now I can watch situations and help, but it still hurts to see these happen. I guess this is definitely part of psychology. I have a tendency to surround myself with oddballs and what society calls social deviants. I friend them because I used to be one and usually there is more than what is on the surface once you get past their shell. When it comes down to it though we are all social deviants or deviants in general in some way. For example I love to sing in public and do not care who is listening. I also love to feed people. To clear this up I mean I love to cook for people and sometimes I will not even eat my own cooking, but let others enjoy it. I also have a tendency to be really critical of myself but try to keep it low key. Besides these small things I am loud and very blunt. If I have an opinion on something chances are you know it well. Thus in my own way I am a social deviant, but so is everyone else. Others just have a tendency not to embrace their differences as much. They want to fit in, but frankly I think our differences are what make this world what it is.

1 comment: