Saturday, March 12, 2011

It's just a ball..... right?

My University tried to break the world dodgeball record today. We had over 1100 people show up and over 200 people came to watch the game. After wards they were handing out free ball to the first 500 people who signed up. I went to claim my ball and my roommate who paid for her ticket, but could not make it since she had become an aunt just a few days before and was out of town. I went to go grab the balls and I got yelled at by a guy for grabbing two. He was trying to impress a girl. Frankly if I was her I would not have been impressed but would have been completely unimpressed. He had just finished the game so his testosterone was high plus the girl situation made it higher. It is interesting though that studies have even shown the aggression levels in things such as sports can raise the levels and thus affecting your behavior right after a game that was as pumped up as this one. Even I know that during a game I tend to get aggressive and am competitive so it was interesting for me to see this usually nice guy's behavior towards me change over a ball. It was just an ordinary ball used in a dodgeball game that did not beat the record. Thus the use of snapping at someone over one is quite interesting to me and shows the influence of games on a person. Although frankly I still love sports and thus will continue to play them, but it is an interesting fact in my mind to what they do to even the nicest of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment